Dealing with Mold in Jacksonville
Mold is a fungus that grows in damp, dark places. It is not uncommon to see mold around the shower or bath, near windows that are perpetually wet or in dank basements. People are constantly breathing mold spores in, even when walking about outside. Mold becomes a major problem, however, when it is left to grow unchecked indoors. In sealed indoor environments, mold spores can circulate through home heating and cooling systems and lower the indoor air quality. Of the many dangers that people face in their home environments, I would say that mold has the potential to be the most hazardous.
What Are The Different Types Of Common Household Mold?
Different mold types can be broken down into three categories. These include allergenic molds which are known to exacerbate allergies and can cause or heighten allergic reactions. There are pathogenic molds which are often the cause of infection, particularly respiratory and skin infections. Finally, there are toxigenic molds which can be very detrimental to human health. These can cause an array of serious illnesses. The most common form of toxigenic mold is toxic black mold or Stachybotrys.
What Are The Health Risks?
Although breathing in a small number of allergenic mold spores is not likely to wreak havoc on the average individual, in larger quantities certain spores can be very detrimental to human health. This is especially true for people with existing respiratory conditions such as emphysema, COPD, allergies and asthma. Exposure to mold can cause wheezing, coughing, sneezing and runny nose. I have even seen it cause a number of skin issues, including increased acne and eczema. Unfortunately, this is not the worst of what mold can do.
What You Need to Do When You Find Mold in Your Home
Considering the extreme danger in attempting to remove toxic black mold, I don’t recommend tackling this task on your own, especially if you are unsure of the type of mold that you are dealing with. Mold often grows in damp areas after a flood or some other type of water damage. While bleach can remove the visible signs of black mold on a short-term basis, it will not take care of the numerous mold spores that are circulating throughout the indoor air. When black mold is a problem in the home, one of the major concerns is the indoor air quality and how the integrity of the heating and cooling system has been impacted.
Airborne mold spores will eventually result in new surface accumulations of mold. This is why people will often find the same, stubborn mold accumulations right in the very areas that they have treated, within just a few weeks of a bleach application. Moreover, the problem can quickly spread, especially if the proper removal methods are not used. I think that it is especially important to note that bleach treatments are also ineffective for addressing the underlying causes of mold growth. These treatments are not going to reduce the amount of moisture that is present on or behind the affected surfaces, which is what has caused the problem in the first place. Until the underlying issue has been resolved, the mold will continue reappear.
Using a Specialist
Mold specialists know how to eliminate problems like these safely. Although an untouched accumulation of toxic black mold can cause issues such as chronic anxiety, depression, headaches, memory loss and even dizziness and disorientation, disturbing these accumulations can make mold spores take to the air in far larger quantities. When classified as a pathogenic mold or a toxigenic mold, airborne spores are going to cause major health issues unless they are properly treated.
Leave a Reply